Sunday, May 8, 2011

Three Beautiful Women

On this Mother's Day, I want to honor three beautiful women. Women who have shaped and strengthened me and have helped me to become the woman I am today.

My earliest memories of my mom were at night. I was terrified of the dark and especially thunderstorms and many nights I would stand next to her bed whispering her name and she would open up the covers to let me slip in. I remember sitting on her lap in the rocking chair in the quietness of the living room when I was sick. She would rub my head and I was gone:) In the summers as I got older, Mom would take us down to the pool and on the way we would pick up some white powdered donuts and she would make us some orange tang. I lived on peanut butter sandwiches - yet in her creativity she would make "sailboats" by turning one quarter sideways. I laugh at this to this day:) She put up with all sorts of april-isms....hang butter and rolled down socks. Mom has encouraged me to continue to press on towards my dreams. My mom is caring, kind, and very funny. She works hard to take care of our family and I love her so much.

My Grandma P. has always been very much a part of my life. We spent a lot of time at her house when we were kids. Their yard had trees and a stream and green grass...funny what kids feel are important! I had a ton of eye doctor appointments when I was little and Grandma drove me a lot. If we were sick or had to leave school Grandma always took care of us. I loved going to her house. She would make Sunday Dinner every Sunday for the whole entire family. Grandma is not your typical grandma. She is quite spunky:) Last year I took up Highland Dancing and her and I did the fling together when I visited last summer. She's in her late 80's now. Grandma knows the word of God and is a faithful prayer warrior. It encourages my heart to know that she prays for me every day both morning and night. Gosh I love her!

My sister is 8 years older than I and though it was challenging at times when we were younger, our relationship is much tighter now. Because she was so much older than my brother and I, she became the token babysitter - much to her chagrin.
I remember when I was little, we would wake up at 7am on a Saturday morning and play soccer in the basement. For whatever reason she could not fully appreciate that her door was the best spot for our goal and quite frankly my brother wasn't a great goal keeper. I'm sure you can imagine her reaction ;) It was a long time before I would grow out of being the annoying sister to a friend. I always looked up to her. Just last month I had the chance to spend a lot of time with her and it was wonderful. It blessed my heart. She is a strong and beautiful woman. She keeps her head up even when she's dealing with very difficult circumstances. She laughs easily and looks forward to hearing my stories. I so appreciate her friendship and am so thankful that she is in my life. Love you Lisa:)

1 comment:

Kim said...

So good!!! we have a great family!! even with all our quirks!LOL

Post a Comment