Friday, July 1, 2011

Mission Impossible

Happy Canada Day!! or Bonne Fête Canada!

It's a cool 16 degrees Celsius today with blue skies and bright sunshine. That's right - not very warm for the first of July!!! Although Three Hills is home to many Canada Day fans, the town has postponed the festivities to later on this month. So today many migrate to neighboring communities to partake in their celebrations! I believe the fireworks will be located in Drumheller tonight over the Red Deer River.

I found this great blog this morning that has inspired me to create today~ It actually made me want to sew. I hear you...those that are gasping for air at the thought of that... It's not too far fetched anymore- my girlie skills have grown exponentially over these last few years and I no longer feel the energy drain out of my body when I hear the word "Fabricland". I actually like shopping for fabric, zippers and ....buttons:) Sadly though, stores are closed for the holiday, so it will have to wait for another day. Instead I bee-lined it to my favourite past-time. Baking. I *LOVE* baking and unfortunately I haven't made the time to dance with this love of mine in recent days....until today.

I started off the morning with a batch of gooey chocolate chip cookies. One cannot imagine how many times I have heard in my lifetime - "April, you cannot just eat chocolate for breakfast!" ...can't I??? :)

Then I figured I would want something reasonably nutritious later on - so I roasted up some veggies and put together my favourite Orzo Salad. If you haven't tried this AMAZING flavorful salad, give it a try! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/orzo-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

It's my TOP salad to bring to gatherings. I just throw in whatever veggies I have in the fridge.
It is always a hit!

...and then the Finale....

My Dad has always had an inkling for trying new recipes. In my childhood, there were some winners and some not so great participants. The chutney meatloaf was one of those dishes that did not place well, however I remember one particular Saturday, he set out to make homemade bagels. I remember forming the dough and boiling them up and if I remember correctly, they didn't turn out exactly to his liking. However, in my humble opinion, they rocked! I loved them! So in honor of my Dad's Bagel Expedition, today I too attempted the impossible and made Homemade Plain Bagels. To my surprise, they look and taste good. I feel like they're still missing something...but with a little tweaking the next batch will be even better!

Risen & waiting to be boiled.


The last little guy!


Browning in the oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment