Thank you for all those who prayed for me today. Quite honestly, it was the most brutal flight test I have ever taken. Several things unfolded as we flew -
We were 30miles out of Edmonton International when the controller told us they were not taking training flights today as one of their runways was down for maintenance and they were only using 1 approach. (They had issued the notice after we had taken off.) My examiner spoke with them and asked if they would accommodate us for the flight test and the controllers obliged. Praise the Lord!
We flew into Red Deer and I was "hand flying" the approach (read: no autopilot) and I was very focused as I had not flown this one before, and as we were 5 miles from the end of the runway when we hit serious turbulence - I was hardly in my seat! It honestly felt like I was wrestling a bull down to the ground. It was intense....all the while trying to make sure I didn't go below the minimum altitude of the approach, and then I saw the needle on my instrument deflect too much and I realized I may have just failed the exercise BUT then I remembered that I could have another chance if I initiated a missed approach (a "go around"). So I did and tried it again. The second time went better...still fighting the winds and the turbulence. I felt like I was put through the wringer a second time. As we climbed back up to altitude on our way home to Three Hills, the cockpit was silent. I was arriving at the decision that I had just partially failed my flight test and was feeling rather whipped, trying to keep my mind focused for the last exercise. Then out of the quietness a voice said "Are you hungry?" It was my examiner, he had been quiet during my whole flight (3 hrs). We shared a cookie. I could have cried. We had one last item to complete -the hold - and it was successful. As I came in for landing at Three Hills, the winds were very strong - 25kt crosswind (ridiculous)...but got it down and finally, as we moved onto the taxiway the examiner told me I passed. Thank you Lord! It was truly by His grace today that we managed to do the flight.
Thank you SO much for praying. I needed it....
Hugs,
April
1 comment:
Hugs back :) Congrats :)
Post a Comment