I spent 2 weeks in Nampa, Idaho at MAF-US's base where I joined a group of people who will also be serving as pilot/mechanic families in various places around the world. I learned that MAF does not serve in "bird" countries. I don't mean there are no birds in the country, more so that they aren't easy countries. In my class alone, 2 families are moving to East Congo and 2 are heading to Indonesia, plus 2 serving in restricted countries. It was so great to be a part of this class and to learn more about MAF US. As the token Canadian, they welcomed me with open arms:) I met with the staff and they invited me to come into an "on-loan" agreement to their organization - which essentially means "I've been adopted into the family!" Not many people get to have a Canadian Family and US Family!
From there I started the visiting extravaganza. First headed to Pullman, WA where the Olsen's provided a wonderful relaxing weekend for me. I got some great loose leaf tea which I was super excited to try, but alas, Homeland Security confiscated it from my checked baggage as what I can only guess... I'm sure drugs don't smell like mint or rooibos, however I wouldn't know.
Anywho, then I flew to Portland, OR and drove down to Salem to visit an old friend and meet her kiddos. Now here's a story for you~ Knowing that I was about to spend some time in Eugene, my dear friend tells me we must go and get a Beaver's shirt (Oregon State) because they're huge football fans in Eugene and I better be wearing the right shirt. So she proceeds to buy me a Beavers Hoodie with the strict instructions to make sure I wear it with pride and everyone will adopt me as their own. I'm a sucker for instant friends:) So I drive down to Eugene, OR with my hoodie handy and on the second day I put it on with pride! As I was about to leave the house with my face beaming, my dear friends confront me on my attire. They say - you may want to be careful out there wearing that shirt! I proceed to tell them how my friend specifically bought it for me to support the team down here and that's when I learned that Eugene IS passionate about football and they DO have team spirit and that would be for the DUCKS! The Oregon Ducks! DUCKS!!!!!! Not their rival team - The Beavers!! I laughed OUT LOUD as I realized how I was played. Four complete strangers commented on my shirt that day making the same statement - I was cheering for the wrong team.
From Eugene, I drove up to Longview, WA to visit another great family. We had a quick visit and as I looked out their kitchen window, I was surprised to see a llama in their backyard - mere feet away from the window. Yup they have a llama for a pet! In fact it's a "camping" llama! It carries the gear when they go camping - how handy! Because llamas are herd animals, they also have an alpaca for company! They would tell me how they would load the llama into their mini van along with the kids and head to their favourite hiking spots. Love it! Now they have a horse trailer - so those days are done.
The Sweater & The Llama

And so friends, I hope you enjoyed the stories of the first half of my traveling adventures.
Stay tuned for part 2!
2 comments:
Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures April!
April...great stories. Good thing you're writing them down because I'll buy the book when it comes out! Makes me want to have a pet llama to carry my stuff.
You go girl.
Post a Comment